What will I need to do before I can start taking driving lessons?
Before you can begin taking driving lessons, you will need to have a valid provisional driving licence issued by DVLA. If you do not have one you can apply for this online @GOV.UK or by collecting a form from the local post office. The current cost to apply online is £34, and a postal application is £43. You can find all the information you need and much more on the GOV.UK website.
Tips for you
- Ensure you have or are in the process of applying for a valid provisional driving licence.
- You must be aged 17 years and above before you can start taking driving lessons.
- Set yourself a reasonable and affordable budget.
- Shop around and read up on the reviews and experiences of others.
- Book a practice slot before committing yourself to any bulk bookings. This way you can get a feel for how comfortable you will be with the instructor and their methods of teaching.
- You should only get extra driving practice with family members or friends who have been full licence holders for three years or more. Try to also avoid picking up any bad habits along the way.
- Don’t forget those Learner Plates when practicing outside of lessons.